Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"He Just Aint Quite Right in the Head!"

That is what one of my neighbors said last night as they watched me ride back and forth in my backyard. My subdivision has a large number of walkers in the late evenings and my casa is smack in the middle of the circuit. Several passer-by'ers stopped and had to be wondering why an adult was riding in circles in the dark (8:30pm) in the soggy grass... little do they know 'cross is creeping closer and CLOSER!

Yesterday we (like most of Missouri) got dumped on with rain. It was needed and welcomed, but most of all added to the 'cross feel as I was soaked after 30 minutes of turn, turn, turn, dismount, remount, turn, turn, turn dismount... (you get the idea). Everything was at low intensity, but well needed as my technical skills need improving. I ran my knee into a bleacher yesterday playing basketball and it quickly formed a goose egg with tons of tenderness. It was crazy stiff starting out on the drills, but it ended up not bothering me a bit as the time continued.

Ian came out to the 'man shack' while I was wiping down the rig and hung out for a while. He was tackling some sets on the 'total gym' and gave me a 'gun show' demo that had me in stitches. He is so stinking funny.

Jake finished up with first two-a-day practices and everything seemed to go pretty good. He is a little frustrated with the lack of varsity boys runners, but is liking the team this year (again) as Coach Bandy does well to emphasize 'team' over individual. He hit the bed early and is going to have to make it routine as morning practices start at 5:30am once school starts (Aug 13th).

Tuesdays mean early AM 'cross loops at SBU so warmed up around town for 30 minutes before meeting Dale (Nate was out of town and Ira was playing doctor to a sick child) at 6am. The course was soaked, pretty slick, and un-mowed (6-8" thick golf rough type)... perfect conditions for what we are doing! After a quick warm up we hit 2 laps at a HR of 155-162 (around 75-80%) for 16 minutes, a 7-8 minute recovery, back up for the same 16 minute effort, 7-8 minute recovery, one 8 minute effort (still at 75-80%), and a cool down to finish it off. I am feeling pretty good (not super strong, but not far off) and the body is settling in nicely to the bouncing and core work. Off-the-bike running is solid as the basketball/strength/hill running is spot on. I like the Orbea (over the C-dale), but am looking forward to CX Christmas in a week (or so). Saw where Roy is dialing in a new Blue (CXC edition).

I'm going to try to rig up the Bean to the bike and get some footage of the SBU courses (not promising anything, but hopeful).

Playing a little basketball at lunch today and hopefully knock out some tandem action with Deb this evening as the weather is supposed to be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment