Monday, August 24, 2009

Varmint-Kong

That is a term I have adopted after a buddy sent me THIS (insert Mole where Gopher is heard) Deb thinks I am only a fraction of brain cells away from living this out as it has become an obsession.

Sunday morning at 5:50am I report to my post and wait... and wait... and wait... 10:15am and I have to break camp for church. Get back home at 12:30pm and still not a single movement. My bro and I knock out 2hrs on the Frisco and when we return there is a new mole run TWO FEET FROM WHERE I SAT ALL MORNING!!!! He is just jacking with me now; well played my fury foe, well played. Check periodically the rest of the day and get no additional activity.

6:15am Monday morning and there is one small mound already up when I check in for duty. 8:05am I leave for work and not a single thing.

For the past two weeks The Mole has made numerous runs in the same area between 5:30am (when I leave out to ride) and 7:00am (when I return) and additional runs up to 8am (when I leave for work). 14 DAYS IN A ROW and the one weekend I commit to hunt this SOM I get sqawduche! This is not over, not by a long shot...
OK, enough of that and a quick continued weekend recap: Saturday evening the house was packed as Ian's twin stayed the night and Jake brought Gibbles home after being out with his crew and he crashed for the evening. Sunday morning church and grilled pizza's for lunch (always a house favorite). Jim and I cruised the FT for two hours and had a good ride (seems it goes better when the rubber side is down). Sanded down and repainted the patio furniture and am working on a new top for the table (after the glass one was smashed against the house during a storm a couple months ago); going with a tile finish. Ian (who spent the last 20hrs with Payton) decided to continue the party and went over to his house for the afternoon, which gave Deb some 'alone' time to unwind. Later Wes, Marla, Dale, Mary, Deb and I enjoyed a 1:40hr ride around suburbia Bolivar. Ian and I finished up the evening with some catch while Jake snuck in some extra running mileage in the cool of the evening. The boys were all down and Deb and I were heading to bed, but got sucked into a M*A*S*H marathon (we love that show)...
Taking a well deserved active recovery week on the fitness scene as I have drilled it for the past two weeks and my body is letting me know. Still riding and strength workouts as regular, but cutting it in about half. This cycle (two heavy one recovery) seems to work pretty good for me (at my older age and all - Crusty). Just a quick reminder: Jingle Cross registration opens Sept 1; trying to work it out, but may by road tripping to Wisconsin that weekend with Jake and Coach Bandy to the Footlocker Regional Qualifier XC race (same one he went to last year).

No comments:

Post a Comment