Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back to School and Thursday 'Cross

Deb picked me up from work (with Ian) and we headed over to the Intermediate School to meet his new teacher and drop off supplies. He was a little nervous, but looking forward to getting it started. Its pretty cool for E-ball as 3rd graders have lockers and he is trying to figure out how many UNC stickers to bring for the inside (***side note: notice his UNC backpack Deb found for him in the below video clip; huge bonus points for Mom***)

Got home after work and my baby had been cooking and we sat down to a roast, potatoes, carrots, onion... (you get the direction this is going) feast! Jake had a XC buddy over and he kept filling up his plate and telling Deb "thank you, thank you" again and again. I have no idea how my girl works all day (luckily its with me), cooks homemade meals and treats, and spoils all her boys with her time and love (and stay sane)?!?!?!?! Lynda Carter has nothing on my WONDER WOMAN!

After dinner Jake headed off to a 'back to school' party so Deb, Ian and I got our croquet on. Afterwards Deb and Marla headed out for a walk (according to Deb it's more like a subtle sprint) so I got Ian fitted on the tandem (he just is tall enough to reach the pedals with the post all the way down) and we hit the road. He was loving it and is already asking when we can do a race (who knows might end up taking him to the state TT race next year). Got the little guy cleaned up, clothes out for school, and in bed (while Deb was still out 'walking'; you might not understand, but the fact that it was accomplished ON TIME is freaking amazing for me).

5:15am alarm goes off and I am on the cross bike within 10 minutes on my way to meet the boys for our Thursday Morning Regular. I loaded up the PVC barrier (one done and the other finished today) and got in a good 30 min spin before hitting the 'Ball Field' course. It is significantly different than the 'Main Campus' loop as this one include much more handling, dismounts (1 sand pit, 1 double natural barrier section, 1 stair climb, and 1 double PVC/natural barrier section) and two short and steep climbs. This one is more about accelerations as the other is more open grinder speed. I don't have a favorite as both serve their purpose well. 6am hits and Dale and Ira are ready to go. We take a lap to get loosen up and then we hit some efforts with speed. I ended up with 2 x 5 minute and then 3 x 10 minute efforts keeping the HR in the 75% range for each.

Below are some pics after this morning's loops. Funny as most folks would simply look at the landscape and surroundings and miss the essence of the tracks in the dew, but all 'cross junkies see only the tire wakes and miss the surroundings.



Got back to the casa in time to see Jake off (it is now official - he drives the Rodeo and I have my Durango back... finally), clean up, and hop in the Deb and Ian to get him to his first day at the Intermediate School. Ian wasn't too nervous about his new surroundings and seemed right at home; he did point out the number of hoops on the playground and that he was going to 'own' them very soon.





After the 'Drop Off' Deb and I hit a local diner for breakfast; not a big deal, but quality time with my girl.

On a side note: much sympathy and love to our good friends who lost their mom (mother-in-law) yesterday. How freeing it is to know no more earthly suffering and struggles for the rest of her days only rejoicing in the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment