Monday, August 3, 2009

2nd Half of Friday Ride and Weekend Update

Here is where I left off on Friday morning's ride (includes 'Hagar's Nut, Rock, and Tree Farm' climb which is my favorite in all of Polk County - clip 5, 6, 7, and 8):








*** Got a couple more to download tomorrow***

Firday evening I continued working on my out-building shop rehab. Power washed the exterior which made it look brand new (I had no idea how bad it needed it). My mom and dad came up and stayed the night. Not a lot of activity(outside of 20 croquet games played), but a lot of relaxation. Deb, being the awesome Deb she is, made a peach cobbler (which quickly moved her to the daughter-in-law of the year status with my dad).

Saturday morning (before everyone else got up) I kept plugging away on the shop and pretty much got it finalized. Moved inside and had a big family breakfast (Deb whipped up some chocolate chip pancakes and a ton of everything else). Hung out with the crew for the rest of the morning until my folks left early afternoon. Power washed the guttering, trim, and windows of the casa. Moved it to the patio, entrance, and drive way - super clean. Deb headed out with a friend on a 1:45hr bike ride and I headed for a strength workout. 1 mile run to the gym (first run since 16 mile with Jake in January), lower body strength lifting, 10 x 30 sec running hill repeats (around 70% effort) on SBU campus, then 1 mile run back. Repeats were brutal after strength work. Deb got home and she, Ian, and I cruised around on the bikes for a while in the city cemetary (super shaded and the multiple roads are fun and curvey). Ian proclaimed himself as Mark Cav reincarnate so we (even Deb) were sprinting for the green jersey every 5 minutes. E-ball watched the TdF everyday with me and is a Columbia/Cav fan. Saturday evening Jeff Guiot (SBU head basketball coach) and family came by to take on Ian in a continuing 'HORSE' contest. Ian lost twice on the last letter at the SBU gym to Jeff so he came over to E-ball's home court. Ian went down again on the last letter. The rest of the evening was a whole lot of nothing - relaxation!

Sunday morning I got in a 1:45hr ride with 3 x 15min 75% efforts - felt Saturday's heavy workout, but still felt pretty decent. The crew headed to church and aftewards chowed at a local dive. During church my cell phone went off (forgot to silence it) and it let me know my bro made it to the top of Half Dome at Yosemite (he promised to call when he made it and I forgot all about it). I was up there a handful of years ago and it is incredible. Good on him for making the 17.5mile hump! Deb and I grabbed a short nap then kitted up for a 1:45hr tandem ride with some friends. Came back and played some croquet with the boys. Deb headed off to the movies with a girlfriend and Ian and I road to SBU for some "sprint training". He is all about the bike now and SBU has great sidewalks and roads (low to no traffic) for him to set up a 'course' and we race. Ended up over an hour goofing around with him on two wheels. Rest of the evening was low key and (again) super relaxing. How freaking sweet was my Sunday: got to wheel around 3 different times and each had a unique purpose. Don't think for one moment I don't understand what a great life I have and I don't take it for granted.

Dale and I went out for 1:40 today at lunch. What a difference from yesterday morning (55*) to today (92*)! We planned for a couple hours, but quickly decided to cut it short as it was pretty brutal on the body. This past week of high 70s and low 80s spoiled me; back to AM rides...

No comments:

Post a Comment