Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Man Shack and Meteorite Watching

So after two weeks of cleaning and prep the Man Shack is fully functional. Decided not to insulate and deck out with heating/AC unit (am using an oscillating fan) as it doesn't get too hot (have used it a couple times when in the upper 90's) and will use a simple space heater for winter conditions. I took an old basketball rack and transformed (with a little welding assistance from G. Evans) it into work stand; not a bad $20 investment. Totally opened up the house garage and now I have functional space for my toys.


After grilled pizzas Deb and I jumped on the tandem, met my bro (on my old C'dale), and got in an hour ride. It's an interesting deal as I would have never guessed several years ago that he and I could get out together and cruise around; way cool for me.
Deb and I got up at 3am to do a little meteorite watching. We threw down a blanket on the patio and caught the action for 30 minutes. Pretty cool, but I was expecting a little more frequency. Didn't wake up the boys as we are trying to get them back to a 'school' sleep pattern since Bolivar moved their start date to Aug 13th (seems awful early)!?!?!?
As referenced above the boys head back to school tomorrow and both appear less than excited; they like their summers! Jake has a heavy math/science load (as usual since his primary interest is in the medical field) and 5:30am/after-school XC practices which will keep him a busy camper. He already has referenced an early bed time this fall. Ian moves from the Primary to the Intermediate school (3rd - 5th grades) and is looking to rule the basketball courts (obviously he hasn't seen the size difference between a 3rd grader and a 5th). We were fortunate to get a great teacher for him as his last couple years were far from encouraging. A great thing for this year is Ian is pretty much capable of getting himself ready for school every morning (even asked for his own alarm clock) and Jake can drop off on his way (since the two campuses are next to each other). That frees me up (even more) for AM riding - sweet!

My knee that I whacked a couple days ago at basketball feels fine (and is fully functional), but has a bunch of swelling (inflated knee). I am taking today off from everything to see if goes down; if not I have no clue what to do as it physically (and mentally, for that matter) feels fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment