Thursday, August 6, 2009

Long Night and Early Morning

Simple and straight forward evening yesterday; a couple rounds of croquet (Deb - 1, Ian - 1, John -0), installed a DA bottom bracket and crank set for Nate (while his super cute boy showed great concern that Ian was without a shirt - too funny), watched Fire on the Track (Pre documentary - highly recommend if you are any fan of competitive running), and finished the night with a rare case of insomnia (too many thoughts in my gourd I guess) that had me seeing 2:30am before drifting off. I 99% of the time sleep like a log and am out with 1 minute of my head hitting the pillow - weird. I have had enough nights not being able to sleep well before a big competition that it's not a bother and simply relax and take in the time to workout what's on my mind. To give an example of what a stress-free life I live what kept me up last night was, of all things, how to finish a bike stand project and at 1:30am I finally headed out to the shop, took a couple measurements, hopped back in bed, worked out the details, and drifted off.

5:30am came way too early. Met the 'cross crew (Nate, Ira, and Dale) at SBU and we layed out the main campus course and rode solid for an hour taking turns on the front (finished up with a 15 min light spin around town). The main campus is relatively flat with tons of turns, but only a couple that test your handling skills and two dismounts/stairs. It is mostly long open thick grass areas that has little to break up the hurt. It will be around a 7 min lap with variations to shorten if needed. Tuesday we'll layout the 'ball field' course which is primarily a low speed 1,000,000 turn bike handling skills playground with a good amount of short steep climbing and four dismounts (long sand volleyball pit, long stair run up, and two natural barrier sections).



Deb is out of the office today on jury duty (2nd time in a handful of months); needless to say she is not a happy camper (I guess I should change that to panelist).

Heading to 'Bolivar Days' at the SPR Cardinals game tonight with the family. Always a fun time (3rd year for us) as our Sunday School group all has tickets together and lots of laughs are in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment